|John Tann's surviving Hackney signage.|
Founded by John’s father Edward, they opened a factory in Hackney from which they produced iron chests, boxes, iron doors and locks. Their biggest customer at the time was Charles Chubb.
The first patent registered was for the “Reliance” lock whose mechanism made it the best available.
The company concentrated on the banking sector and in overseas trade.
In 1953 when the London Silver Vaults were opened the security doors were to become their showpiece.
They went on to do the doors for the Jewel House in the Tower of London.
In 1965 John Tann Ltd. became part of Clayton Dewandre and the company eventually traded hands again and was finally acquired by the Stratford Safe Company.
The Tann Safe, which was exhibited at The Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace in 1851, is still on display down here at the vaults today.